Washington State School for the Blind is proud to offer our Short-Courses in specific areas of need for blind and low vision students.
- Short courses are offered at no charge for Washington State students and focus on the important Expanded Core Curriculum designed for blind and low vision students.
- Short course students arrive late Sunday and depart at noon on Friday. Students will stay on campus with WSSB students in our supervised cottages with meals supplied on/off-campus depending on events.
- Roundtrip transportation by WSSB via charter bus along I-5 corridor or airline flight to Portland International Airport with transport to/from our campus.
- Courses will include mandatory recreation, emphasis on self-determination and self-advocacy, self-management, as well as a focus on transition after high school.
- In addition, Short-Courses will include a dedicated portion of the day for students to work on the classwork they miss while attending the program.
Who is eligible:
Middle and high school students who are at or near grade level. Students will receive instruction from a Teacher of the Visually Impaired and Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist. Students can participate in up to 2 courses per school year.
2021-22 School Year Short Courses
|10/10 - 10/15||Mobility and White Cane week|
|10/31 - 11/5||Cooking and Living Independently|
|12/5 - 12/10||Tech Skills using Windows and JAWS (session 1)|
|1/23 - 1/28||Tech Skills using Windows and JAWS (session 2)|
|2/13 - 2/18||Cooking and Living Independently|
|3/13 - 3/18||Learning and Living with Low Vision|
|4/17 - 4/22||Career and College Readiness|
|5/15 - 5/20||Real Skills for Middle School - organizational and social skills. Students will also have an opportunity to explore what life is like as a WSSB student.|
Coming Soon: Online Music Braille for Students: levels 1 and 2
- Music braille instruction will be provided over an eight-week session through asynchronous and live (synchronous) instruction scheduled around each participant's availability.
- Cost: Free
If you have any questions please email me at:
WSSB Irwin Education Building