Health and Safety
- Students must stay home if they experience any of the following symptoms not related to another condition:
- Shortness of breath/breathing difficulty
- Fever of 100.4˚F or higher or chills
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Muscle or body aches
- Congestion/running nose – not related to season allergies
- Unusual fatigue
Suggested Supply List
- A labeled reusable water bottle (dishwasher safe and with a closing lid)
- School supplies (textbooks, learning materials, laptop/ipad/braillenote/chargers, braille writer, etc).
- Medications (which will go to our nurses in the health center)
Suggested Packing List for Residential Students
- At least 5 sets of Clothes (pants, shirts, socks, underclothes).
- Warm coat, hat, scarf, and gloves
- Swim suit
- PE clothes, including tennis shoes
- Toiletry items (deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, soap/body wash, shampoo, comb/brush, feminine hygiene products).
- Snacks (which will go in your students assigned snack drawer)
- What is Skyward (Grades and More) and how can parents use it?
Skyward is the platform the school uses to log attendance, grades, and contact information. How can parents use this tool?
Skyward Family Access is the parent login portal. To log in use the parent
User name: firstname.lastname
Password: Contact Irwin Office
Please call 360-947-3309 if you are having a hard time accessing your account. This is a great tool for families to check attendance and grades!
- Who do you call when your student is absent from school?
Call our attendance line at
360-947-3278 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
please be sure to state your student's name and the reason for the absence.
- How will you communicate highlights and news?
This year we will be using Facebook to communicate highlights and news, please be sure to Like our Facebook page: Facebook WA State School for the Blind
How do I reach the Irwin office?
Text: If you prefer to text message the office, please text: @wssb1886 to 81010 to join our Remind
- Does my student need to wear a mask all day?
Students in the school building must wear masks at all times. Students may remove their masks when they are eating and drinking. If students need a mask break, they can take off their masks outdoors if they are by themselves or at least 6 feet from others.
Some students may have a mask break if they are assigned to access their instructor via Zoom and they are in a private enclosed room.
While in the cottage, students will need to wear their masks in common areas but will remove them while eating and maintain at least 6 foot distance between others.
A cloth mask:
- covers your mouth and nose
- Fits securely on the sides of your face and chin
- Made of two or more layers of tightly woven fabric with ties or straps that go around your head or behind your ears
A cloth mask should not:
- Have an exhalation valve or vent
- Be a single layer bandana or gaiter
- What happens if there is a positive COVID case at WSSB?
If a positive COVID case and is identified at the school, a notification will be made to staff and families. All close contacts to the positive COVID case will be notified and information will be provided regarding quarantine guidelines. Close contact is defined as an individual that spends an accumulated total time of greater than 15 minutes within less than 6 feet of an infected person within a 24 hour period.